Filing A Board Appeal

gavel on desk with flag in the background
(Joshua Magbanua/DVIDS)

If you disagree with the VA's decision on your benefits claim you can appeal their decision by appealing to a Veterans Law Judge at the Board of Veterans' Appeals in Washington, D.C. A judge who’s an expert in veterans law will review your case.

You can request a Board Appeal at any time anytime, but normally you should file within one year of VA's original decision.

What Options are There for Filing a Board Appeal?

If you select a Board Appeal, you have 3 options:

  1. Request a Direct Review - A Veterans Law Judge will review your appeal based on evidence already submitted. You can't submit evidence and can't have a hearing. The Direct Review option will take about one year for the Board to complete.
  2. Submit more evidence - You can submit more evidence for a Veterans Law Judge to review. You must submit this evidence within 90 days of the date we receive your Decision Review Request: Board Appeal (VA Form 10182). Download VA Form 10182 (PDF) The evidence submission option will take more than one year for the Board to complete.
  3. Request a hearing - You can request a hearing with a Veterans Law Judge. You can choose to add new and relevant evidence, either at the hearing or within 90 days after the hearing. Adding evidence is optional. Your hearing will be transcribed and added to your appeal file. You can request a virtual hearing from your home, a videoconference hearing at a VA location near you or an in-person hearing in Washington, DC. The hearing request option will take more than one year for the Board to complete.

How to Request a Board Appeal

Complete a VA Form 10182 to request a hearing with the Board of Veterans' Appeals. You will need to list all the issues you want VA to review and include the date of the VA decision you disagree with.

You can either submit the completed form by mail or in person. 

What Happens Next?

You don’t need to do anything while you’re waiting unless VA sends you a letter asking for more information. If VA schedules exams for you, be sure not to miss them. You can check the status of your appeal on eBenefits.

If You Need Help

A Veterans Service Organization or VA-accredited attorney or agent can help you request a decision review. Get help requesting a decision review

If You Don't Agree With the Board Appeal Decision

If you disagree with the Board’s decision and have new and relevant evidence that supports your case, you can file a Supplemental Claim. You can also appeal to the U.S. Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims. 

Know All Your Legal Rights and Benefits

Be aware and get what you are entitled to. Keep up with all the legal benefits available to you as a service member, veteran or spouse and get updates delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to

Story Continues