The Appeals Process

Appeals in Block

If you disagree with a VA decision on your claim you can choose from 3 decision review options to review your case. If you aren’t satisfied with the results of the first option you choose, you can try another eligible option.

Your options to dispute the VA's decision on your benefits claim are:

  1. File a supplemental claim with possibly new evidence to support your claim. Complete a VA Form 20-0995 to file a supplemental claim.
  2. Request higher level review with a more senior reviewer. Complete a VA Form 20-0996 to request a higher level review.
  3. Request a Board Appeal to a Veterans Law Judge at the Board of Veterans' Appeals in Washington, D.C. Complete a VA Form 10182 to request a hearing with the Board of Veterans' Appeals.

In most situations you have one year from the date on your decision letter to request a decision review. 

Details on filing a Supplemental Review

Details on requesting a Higher Level Review

Details on requesting a Board Appeal

Know All Your Legal Rights and Benefits

Be aware and get what you are entitled to. Keep up with all the legal benefits available to you as a service member, veteran or spouse and get updates delivered straight to your inbox by subscribing to

Story Continues