What is Tricare For Life?
Tricare For Life (TFL) is Medicare wraparound coverage for Tricare beneficiaries who have Medicare Part A and Medicare Part B, regardless of age or place of residence. With TFL, you have the freedom to seek care from any Medicare-participating or nonparticipating provider, or at a military hospital or clinic on a space-available basis. Enrollment is not required, but you must pay Medicare Part B premiums.
TFL is available worldwide, in the U.S. and its territories. Those living outside the US can use Tricare Select Overseas as an alternative.
How Tricare For Life Works
You may visit any authorized provider.
- Your provider files your claims with Medicare.
- Medicare pays its portion and sends the claim to the Tricare For Life claims processor.
- Tricare For Life then pays the provider directly for Tricare-covered services.
You can get care at military hospitals and clinics, but only on a space-available basis.
What You Pay With Tricare For Life
You don't pay any enrollment fees, but you must pay Medicare Part B monthly premiums. Your Part B premium is based on your income.
For more information about Medicare Part B visit our Medicare page.
Services covered by both Medicare and Tricare you'll pay nothing out of pocket.
Medical procedures covered by Medicare only (e.g. chiropractic services) you will be responsible for Medicare deductibles and cost shares
Medical procedures covered by Tricare only you are responsible for any TFL deductibles and cost shares
Medical procedures not covered by Tricare or Medicare (e.g. cosmetic surgery) you are responsible for the entire amount.
Using TFL Overseas
Medicare does not provide coverage outside the United States, U.S. territories (American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico, and the U.S. Virgin Islands), and ships in U.S. territorial waters. Therefore, TFL is your primary payer for health care received in all other overseas locations.. TFL generally provides the same coverage as Tricare Overseas Select and has the same deductible and cost-shares for beneficiaries who live or travel overseas.
If you are enrolled in any Tricare health plan you are automatically enrolled in a pharmacy program. There are 2 different pharmacy programs:
- Tricare Pharmacy Program - The Tricare Pharmacy Program provides the prescription drugs you need, when you need them, in a safe, easy, and cost-effective manner.
- Tricare Maintenance Medications Program - All persons taking select maintenance medications must receive refills via TRICARE Pharmacy Home Delivery or use a military pharmacy instead of using retail pharmacies.
For more information please visit the Tricare For Life website.
Keep Up with Changes to Tricare and Your Other Benefits
Want to know about changes in military benefits as they happen? Subscribe to Military.com to get the latest benefits news delivered directly straight to your inbox.