Prior to making a transition from military service you may want to ensure the peace of mind and the financial security that come from knowing your family is protected, no matter what happens. VA provides several low-cost life insurance options The following is a summary of veterans life insurance and what you need to know:
Current VA Life Insurance Programs
For current life insurance programs offered by the VA, check out our detailed pages describing each:
- Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI) - Low cost group life insurance to members of the uniformed services,
- Servicemembers' Group Disability Extension (SGLI-DE) - Lets service members who are totally disabled at time of discharge to keep free SGLI for up to two years.
- Veterans' Group Life Insurance (VGLI) - SGLI may be converted to renewable five-year term coverage known as VGLI
- Family Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (FSGLI) - FSGLI is a program extended to the spouses and dependent children of members insured under SGLI
- Servicemembers' Group Traumatic Injury (TSGLI) - Short-term financial assistance to severely injured servicemembers and veterans to assist them in their recovery from traumatic injuries.
- Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (S-DVI) - Up to $10,000 in life insurance for veterans who have a service-connected disability but are otherwise in good health
- Veterans' Mortgage Life Insurance(VMLI) - VMLI program provides financial protection to cover eligible veterans' home mortgages in the event of death.
Previous VA Life Insurance Programs
Through the years, the VA has run several life insurance programs. If you or a loved one wants more information about these programs check out the VA's Insurance page.
|Program||Beginning Date||Ending Date for New Issues||Policy Letter Prefix|
|U.S. Government (USGLI)||May 1919||April 24, 1951||K|
|National Service (NSLI)||Oct. 8, 1940||April 24, 1951||V, H|
|Veterans Special (VSLI)||April 25,1951||Dec. 31, 1956||RS, W|
|Veterans' Reopened (VRI)||May 1, 1965||May 2, 1966||J, JR, JS|
Visit the Military.com Insurance Center to get information, advice, tips and to learn more about your life, auto, renters, and long-term care insurance options.
SGLI And VGLI May Not Be Enough
SGLI and VGLI may not be enough to cover your family's needs. Explore life insurance options with our free tool that compares rates and matches you to the coverage your family needs.