Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance Traumatic Injury Protection (TSGLI) provides short-term financial assistance to severely injured service members and veterans to assist them in their recovery from traumatic injuries. The following is a summary of Traumatic Injury Protection:
If you are insured under full-time SGLI, you are automatically covered by TSGLI. TSGLI coverage applies to active duty members, reservists, National Guard members, funeral honors duty and one-day muster duty.
To be eligible for payment of TSGLI, you must meet all of the following requirements:
- You must be insured by SGLI when the injury occurs
- Your injury must cause a loss that is covered by the policy
- You must have suffered the traumatic injury while in the service
- You must suffer a scheduled loss within 2 years (730 days) of the traumatic injury
- You must survive for a period of not less than seven full days from the date of the traumatic injury
All SGLI participants are insured for traumatic injury protection of up to $100,000.
TSGLI vs. Disability Compensation
TSGLI is not disability compensation and has no effect on entitlement disability benefits from the VA or DOD.
TSGLI is insurance that provides money for a loss due to a specific traumatic event while disability compensation is intended to provide ongoing financial support to make up for the loss in income-earning potential due to service-connected injuries
For more information, see the VA's TSGLI Page.
Stay on Top of Your Military Benefits
Not sure what your veteran health care benefits are? Keep up with all the changes and details. Subscribe to Military.com. and get all the latest updates straight to your inbox.