Dislocation Allowance (DLA)

courtesy pile of money
Money is not the only factor to consider when deciding whether to leave one company for another. (Photo courtesy of share.america.gov)

Dislocation Allowance (DLA) is a tax free cash allowance designed to partially reimburse a service member for the expenses incurred in relocating during a PCS, an evacuation, or other housing moves ordered for the Government's convenience.

DLA normally ranges from around $1,000 - $5,000 depending on the member's paygrade and dependency status. You can normally only receive DLA once each fiscal year, Oct. 1 - Sep. 30.

See the current DLA rates.

Special circumstances may rarely allow for a payment of secondary DLA when approved by a flag or HQ officer.

Partial DLA of around $800 is available for those ordered in or out of government housing for the convenience of the government. Those who move from government housing for their own convenience or misconduct are not eligible.

Service members must request DLA in order for it to be paid.  It can be requested in advance (check with your local command for their form)  or it can be requested while completing the travel claim after the move has occurred.

DLA is NOT authorized when separating from the service.

Rules regarding the payment of DLA can be found in the Joint Travel Regulations (JTR), Chapter 5, Part 5.  In addition, more information can be found at the Defense Travel Management Office's DLA Frequently Asked Questions page.

Keep Up With Military Pay Updates

Military pay benefits are constantly changing. Make sure you're up-to-date with everything you've earned. Subscribe to Military.com to receive updates on all of your military pay and benefits, delivered directly to your inbox.

Story Continues