Ask Ms. Vicki: I Need to Find a Job


Dear Ms. Vicki,

I have a problem. My husband is currently deployed with the National Guard and when he gets home in, he will come home to no job. We currently live near Ft.Hood, Texas. But, the problem with this town is because it is military they think they do not have to pay civilians a decent pay.

I am scared of going from a full-time paycheck and the benefits that we are receiving to nothing. I knew before he deployed that he was coming back to no job, but we are halfway through this deployment and I am really scared how the bills are going to get paid when he returns.

I am currently looking for a job as well and so far no luck. I have been researching on the workforce website about military spouses and helping with employment. The other problem is my husband will have 17 years of active duty time, which is too many years to apply for an AGR position, but too early to go into sanctuary for retirement.

I don't want him worrying worse than he already is about this so I am trying to figure a way to transition before he gets home. I would really like your help -- maybe somewhere I can get some information with this before he returns...


Desperate in Texas

Dear Desperate in Texas,

I can understand your concerns and fears. The economy has not been good when it comes to viable good-paying salaries. As a result, transitions can provoke a lot of anxiety.

I would highly recommend you visit with your Army Community Services (ACS) on base. They should be able to help you with many things. They have financial and budget counselors who can let you know if there are any resources available to assist service members and their families, as well as debt reduction services, information about mortgage services, etc.

You can also speak to someone in the family member employment section. They could have other employment information for spouses, like working for contractors on the base, etc.

The emotions you are feeling are very normal. However, if you would like to speak with a counselor off the record, you should ask to speak to a Military and Family Life Consultant (MFLC). They are also located in the ACS building and will be able to give you advice and support.

Please keep in touch with me and let me know how I can help you further. Thanks for reaching out to me.


Ms. Vicki

Keep Up with the Ins and Outs of Military Life

For the latest military news and tips on military family benefits and more, subscribe to and have the information you need delivered directly to your inbox.

Show Full Article